The 2012-2013 season opens for Memphis basketball with a game against North Florida on November 12 in Memphis. The Tigers are looking to improve upon last season's run. They keep a group that played 70% of last year's minutes and add the contributions of a Top 100 recruit and two other incoming freshmen.
The biggest gap for Memphis to fill will be on the defensive side, as the team lost 38.4% of their steals. After that, they'll hurt almost as much in rebounding, where they drop 38.3%.
The Tigers have some buzz after receiving a #17 ranking in the preseason AP Top 25 poll. They weren't included in last year's final regular season AP poll. Memphis played to a final overall record of 23-8 last season and took the C-USA regular season with a conference record of 13-3. In postseason play, the Tigers beat Marshall 83-57 to win the C-USA tournament. They were seeded 8th in the NCAA Tournament and lost to Saint Louis in the second round, 61-54. The Tigers lost key player Will Barton to the NBA, picked up by the Portland Trail Blazers at Round 2, #10.
Furthermore, Memphis lost last year's seniors Wesley Witherspoon (21 minutes per game), Charles Carmouche (17 MPG), and Preston Laird (1 MPG).
Coming back to the Tigers are junior Chris Crawford (3.9 assists/game), junior Joe Jackson (11.0 points/game), junior Tarik Black (1.5 blocked shots/game), sophomore Adonis Thomas (8.8 points/game), and junior Antonio Barton (1.6 assists/game).
Memphis will work in a Top 100 Recruit this season. Shaq Goodwin is a 6-7 forward from Decatur, GA and is the #35 ranked recruit in the country.
Other freshmen joining the Tigers include 6-6 Damien Wilson and 6-0 Anthony Cole. Other players joining the team include 6-9 junior Shaq Goodwin and 6-3 junior Geron Johnson.
The Tigers go up against one AP preseason Top 25 opponent, #2 Louisville on December 15th. Memphis will begin their C-USA campaign on January 9th against East Carolina.
Tags: Wesley Witherspoon
- Memphis has had 12 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Memphis has an overall winning percentage of 79.0%. The Tigers have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 80.6%.
- The Tigers have an average conference finish of 1.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 1.9.
- Over the last 5 seasons, Memphis has signed 3 Top 10 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Tigers have signed 4 Top 10 players.
- In a 10 year period, Memphis has signed 10 Top 100 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Tigers have signed 20 Top 100 players.
- With Will Barton being drafted last year, that makes 10 Memphis players that have been drafted by the NBA in the last 10 years.
- With last year's trip to the NCAA Tournament, that makes 2 straight years the Tigers have made it to the Big Dance.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 119.4.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Louisville (#10).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Tennessee-Martin (#326).
- The last time Memphis returned more than 66% of the team's statistical production was 2011-2012.
- The Tigers have been in the Preseason AP Poll 19 times since 1948.
, Charles Carmouche
, Preston Laird
, Chris Crawford
, Joe Jackson
, Tarik Black
, Adonis Thomas
, Antonio Barton
, Damien Wilson
, Anthony Cole
, Shaq Goodwin
, Geron Johnson